The Graham Rogers House (ca. 1845)
"By the mid-1860s, Graham Rogers had developed a prosperous farm and had served several terms as Chief of the Shawnee. However, the land of the Shawnee reservation had been opened to all settlers a decade earlier and many members of the Shawnee tribe were preparing to move to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma.) In 1868, Graham Rogers began to sell his farmland in preparation for the move. Henry Coppock bought 800 acres of Rogers' land including the house, and named the property Oak Park Farms. Sometime before 1874, the log exterior was covered with siding.
Memory of the old Rogers house faded over the years. By 1952, the building was dilapidated and in need of rehabilitation. A front section of the home was removed, revealing the two-story hand hewn log walls of the main structure. Some area residents remembered the old house's link to the Coppocks, but evidence linking it to Graham Rogers did not resurface until the 1980s when an 1859 sketch of the Rogers home was found. With the striking similarities of physical features, the house's location and its ties to the Coppock family, many became convinced that old house on Mackey Rd. was the original home of Graham Rogers. The structure was officially recognized as the Graham Rogers House on August 27, 1988 when it was placed on the State Register of Historic Kansas Places." http://www.jocomuseum.org/docs/HP%20Articles/Rogers%20House.pdf